Sunday, October 6, 2019

September Journal.


September. Is 'spring has sprung' the most overused phrase in September? Quite possibly. I suppose it's also another way of saying 'thank god we've made it to the other side of winter'. Both expressions reflect my current state of feelings for the month that was. The sun is rising that bit earlier (hello imminent day light savings), the days are a little warmer, and fractionally longer, and everyone just seems to have a bit more of a spring in their step... pun shamelessly intended. 

To pick up where we left off last month, with a sourdough starter coming into my possession, I think I've discovered a whole new passion in bread making. Whenever someone asks me "what have you been up to?" I reply excitedly saying "making sourdough bread" like it's an achievement of the same status as moving home or getting a new job. Like most good things that end up happening for me, I was really nervous before starting the bread making process. Mostly it's a fear of failure, which is probably my biggest fear if we're being honest, and if I failed making the bread, then the whole exercise would have been for nothing. After combining all of the ingredients and then kneading the dough I felt like I knew my bread was going to be somewhat of a success. Pulling out the golden loaf from the oven and hearing that hallow sound as you tap the bread was like winning the lucky door prize when you never win anything. For a moment there I felt so silly for having doubted myself and for having let my irrational fear of failure infiltrate something as meditative, enjoyable and humbling as making bread.

Since then, there have been some challenges with my breads not really rising so I've had to adjust my starter and things seems to be working better now. I've also started experimenting with making olive loaf, and plan on making a potato and rosemary bread very soon. 

The other highlight of the month was my trip to Brisbane and most notably staying at the divine Calile Hotel. It was an Instagram influencer's playground and aesthetically pleasing to all of my senses. From the marble and gold detailing throughout the lobby, to the curved archways in the room and the brass finishings in the bathroom all the way down to the pool and it's chic daybeds and matching umbrellas, the level of design and detail everywhere you turned was both thrilling and assuring. I truly felt like a queen staying for two nights at the hotel. It was worth every single cent. To make it all the more special it was Ruby and I who were staying and we had a lovely girls weekend. We went to GOMA, had a long lunch that turned into dinner at Greca, and then saw one of our favourite bands, The 1975, the following night. Brisbane had a real vibe to it that even Sydney seems to be lacking at the moment. I will most definitely be going back!

It wasn't all perfect breads and perfect interiors, there were some lows as well. At the beginning of the month I had some really intense feelings that everything I owned was gross and old and that I in turn was gross and dishevelled. I really feel this pressure, mostly put on by myself, of having to look and dress and speak a certain way to be worthy of my job and where I live. These sentiments were mostly true of my activewear and how it would make me feel getting ready to go and exercise. I knew going into my self imposed 'buy nothing new' year that I already needed to upgrade my activewear back in December. In my defence, I hadn't bought new activewear in over three years. It's not something I feel the need to be 'on trend' with because exercising to me isn't something that is a show. It's about moving my body and keeping it fit, healthy and strong. But my clothes were really starting to show their age and making me feel sloppy and unkempt every time I got dressed to go and exercise which isn't very nice. I knew I had to upgrade things and so I did. I recycled some of my old tops by cutting them up into rags to use around the house... yep, that's how bad they were! My new items, whilst not ideal and not in line with my goal this year, have made me feel better about myself when I get dressed to go and workout. And in turn, have made exercising all the more enjoyable again. I also haven't thought about wanting to buy anything new since I made those purchases. In fact, a part of me feels like I might even have my capsule wardrobe in a really good place now.

I'm also happy to report that I stuck with my meditation and morning routine for most of the month. I'm really enjoying having cared for myself and my personal interests before I set out into the day. It's a fairly simple practice - wake up, make tea, meditate, then drink tea and read a book - and I think that's what has made it work. I was so worried when I was doing the High Vibration Challenge last month that I didn't have a 'ritual' but I do, it just took me some time to realise those small things, and doing them daily makes a ritual - A series of actions or type of behaviour regularly and invariably followed by someone.

~ New In - sadly not the secondhand edition this time... ~

Girlfriend Collective set - I bought the Compressive High Rise leggings in black and the Topanga bra in black. I love this set so much, it's incredibly comfortable, the leggings really suck you in and make you feel supported, and both pieces are made with recycled plastic bottles and came in plastic free packaging. Plus you can send the garments back to GC when they've lived their life so they can be recycled!

P.E Nation singlet and t-shirt - I bought the Shuffle Tank (white) and the Ignition Cropped Tee (black) for the fact that I have access to a brand discount through work and that I know I'll wear them again and again and again. They were close to the cut and style of tops that I was after to complete my activewear line up. 

Kowtow White t-shirt - the need for a white t-shirt was always going to get me. I can't tell you how heavily I rely on my white t-shirt throughout spring and summer. I wear it at least three times a week. My current white t-shirt from Uniqlo is starting to become see-through so it was time to upgrade before my dependency sets in. I went with my morals and ethics and bought from Well Made Clothes.

Away suitcase - Oh I really did have a breakdown to have a breakthrough this month. I also upgraded my year 11 and 12 pink Country Road duffle bag, that I have been using for the last six years as my carry on luggage, to an actual hard case suitcase with compartments and four wheels. It has been revolutionary and an excellent investment.

~ Read, watched and listened ~

Normal People by Sally Rooney -  I have been thinking about this book and its characters ever since I finished. I feel like we all know a Marianne and Connell couple, or have even been in a relationship like theirs. Now I fully understand the Sally Rooney hype, I can't wait to read Conversations With Friends!

The Loudest Voice on Stan - The Academy should make an exception for this show and give it an Oscar. Russell Crowe is terrifyingly good as the Fox News founder Roger Ailes and Sienna Miller is unrecognisable as Ailes' dutiful wife Beth. The show charts the events that lead to Fox News becoming the media behemoth it is today, and the tactics it uses to shape American conversation and in turn the American political landscape. 

~ Eats ~

Greca, Brisbane - owned by Sydney's The Apollo and Cho Cho San it goes without saying this restaurant would live up to the hype and millennial pink interiors. Make sure you order the saganaki cheese, it's to die for!

I'm going to finish this post with some pictures from The Calile because it really sparked joy throughout my entire being...






x.


No comments:

Post a Comment